Friday, February 12, 2010

The Haircut......

Everyone who ha s a dog chose the breed they got for one reason or another. One of the main reasons my wife and I chose to get a Yorkie is that they are hypoallergenic and don’t shed. There is a downside to having a non-shedding dog……..the haircuts! Who would’ve thought a doggie-do would be nearly twice what I pay to get my hair cut? The average price for a dog haircut is between $25 and $35, depending on the ‘Salon’ you choose.
After taking Belle to get her hair cut a couple of times, and being the “do-it-yourselfer” that I am, I decided that I was going to give this at home haircut a try. This would for sure save some money, how hard could it be to run a buzzer and maybe a couple of swipes with scissors?
I went to the pet store and bought some nice clippers and scissors. The fun was about to start.
I got all set up and took one big swipe down the middle of her back, then I realized, “Wow, that is short”, I thought no big deal, her hair grows to fast that this would just be a small hiccup in the at home salon experience. Once I got her whole body shaved, it was time for her legs. She does not like to have the clippers anywhere near her legs, so I would back off for a while and then see if her opinion of them would change in 5 minutes or so. This went on for about an hour. I finally decided that this wasn’t going to work. Belle’s body was shaved and her legs were still shaggy (picture an 80’s workout video with the awesome leggings).
When I finally came to grips with the fact that I was now going to have to take her to get a real haircut, I packed up the clippers and all accessories and walked back into the pet store to return them. When asked if something was wrong, I just showed them little Belle and said, “An at home pet groomer, I am not!” I returned everything and walked into the salon to schedule an appointment and they asked if she needed a haircut, I responded with, “No, just a half of one!”
A couple of hours later, I went back to pick her up and to my surprise, they had shaved her body even shorter than I had in the first place, they said something about evening it out? Her legs looked like little stilts, she has nearly no hair on them at all. She now looked like a little a Chihuahua with a cute Yorkie face.
Moral of this story, dog haircuts are not as easy as they appear, spend the few dollars and save a lot of headache by getting your pets groomed professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment